Friday, February 19, 2016

Swimming in SI

I have subscription to Sports Illustrated. I am guy. But, the swimsuit edition is my least favorite edition every year, but my sister and mother flock to it and enjoy it greatly. I think they see it not as degrading but as a fashion magazine. I prefer to read the sports articles, where as my mom and sister prefer to ogle at the models and their swimsuits. I would say this is defiantly due to the way that we were socialized as youths and our interests. I am not offended by the swimsuit edition of Sports Illustrated but I do think it is a good thing to diversify the body shape of the models to help with the self concept of female readers. I also find those who are offended by the swimsuit edition to be hyper-sensitive to the media and if they are subscribers they should utilize that Sports Illustrated allows you top opt out of the swimsuit edition and they will add an additional issue to the end of your twelve month subscription to make up for the lost issue.

1 comment:

  1. I relate to your ideas of the swimsuit editi, but I favor this years edition because it brings attention to women of all body types, and not just models who are "skinny". Ronda Rousey was a model highlighted in this edition and she sets a great example for people to look up too. Not just your average play boy bunny.

    ReplyDelete